Thursday, March 13, 2008

Woman Stuck on Toilet for 2 Years

I grew up in a trailer in the backwoods of north Louisiana. It was a single-wide (eventually we got a house and the trailer and the house were then hooked together...check out my archived posts for more background on me :-)) and we only had 1 bathroom. There were six of us in the house: my parents, myself and my 3 siblings, and with only one bathroom, there were certain rules that had to be enforced for everyone's protection:


1. When using the toilet, lock the door. We all had our experiences walking in on someone who forgot to lock the door. Not cute.

2. When taking a bath or shower, pull the shower curtain but do not lock the door. That way, if someone needs to come in the bathroom for any reason, they can get in and don't have to wait for you to come out of the shower. We got in trouble many times for locking the door when taking a bath. Sometimes we just wanted some privacy even if it meant risking getting a whuppin' later.

3. If doing anything other than using the toilet do not lock the door. Again, with one bathroom and six bodies, we did not have the luxury of hiding from the world in the bathroom for a while. Actually, we didn't have the luxury of hiding anywhere in the house. I didn't have my own room until I was 21...but, I digress.


So anyway, there's this story about a woman in Kansas who stayed in the bathroom for 2 years. How do you stay in the bathroom for 2 years?! According to the boyfriend, he was bringing her food and clothes and she was in there walking around and taking baths and stuff. But, according to police, her skin had grown around the toilet seat and they had to pry the seat off the base of the toilet. That means she had to have sat there for a while.


I prefaced this story with my own trailer bathroom experiences because as I reflect on my own childhood home and most other trailers that I've ever been in, I know that there was probably only one bathroom in the house. With that being said, where did HE use the bathroom for 2 years? When we were very little, one time my brother and I figured out how to both use the toilet at the same time (we had to go BAD!). Of course, as little kids you can do stuff like that and not grow up mentally scarred.


Did he shower everyday while she was sitting on the throne? Did he take long bubblebaths and catch up with her on the day's news while she sat there clipping her toenails, watching them fly into his bathwater?

What did the boyfriend tell his friends when they came over and asked to use the bathroom? ...that his toilet was messed up?

I NEED ANSWERS and this explanation that the boyfriend offered is just not gonna do:

"It just kind of happened one day; she went in and had been in there a little while, the next time it was a little longer. Then she got it in her head she was going to stay -- like it was a safe place for her," McFarren said.


All hail the queen who sits on a porcelain throne.

Tracking Hurricane Gustav