Tuesday, April 08, 2008

"I Was Raped" T-Shirt

I noticed this yesterday, but forgot to check and see what it was all about. According to a blog on the New York Times.com site:

In 2004, Jennifer Baumgardner distributed T-shirts with a bold message across their fronts in blocky blue text: “I Had an Abortion.” More recently, the Williamsburg-based writer and activist decided to apply her T-shirt approach to
consciousness-raising to the subject of rape.

After a few different versions were shelved, she turned to graphic designer friend Vinnie Angel. His concept: a safe with its door wide open, revealing inside a small note card that reads, in handwriting, “I was raped.”

What was she going for? A shirt that would let rape victims “own the experience,” she says, and would help chip away the cone of silence that surrounds a crime with humiliation at its core.

A shirt that would start conversations.


I think her next t-shirt should say " I Was Robbed" and have a picture of a gas pump in the background.

What do you think about "owning" experiences like rape, molestation, abortion, etc? I definitely think it takes awareness to another level when you can put a face on it.

Tracking Hurricane Gustav