Thursday, April 10, 2008

Luther Vandross' Mother Has Passed Away

I heard this morning on the Tom Joyner Morning Show that Evangelist Mary Ida Vandross, mother of the late Grammy Award winning singer Luther Vandross, has passed away.

Mrs. Vandross was the last surviving member of the Vandross family. The evangelist spent her latter years as a strong advocate and spokesperson for 'Diabetes Aware' campaign, due to the devastation the disease had caused in her family. In a 2006 article published in Jet magazine, she says, "I want people to listen and actually hear what I am saying. You realize what I am going through. I have lost three children and one grandchild to diabetes. I have also lost my husband and mother to diabetes-related illnesses. (Daughter Ann died of complications from asthma). I am a lonely person. I had four loving children, now I have no children. You don't know how empty my life is sometimes. No one knows what it feels like. I don't want anyone to hurt like I am hurting and be lonely like I am lonely. Go and be checked for diabetes. Do it for your loved ones, do it for yourself."

Finally, Mrs. Vandross can dance with her family again.

Tracking Hurricane Gustav